From royal babies to twerking, 2013 has definitely been an unforgettable year. We’ve narrowed down the craziness to the 10 biggest social media busting moments of the year.
10. Justin Bieber retires! We start the countdown off with Justin Bieber. Although this was a crazy year for the Biebs, nothing caused quite the stir in the Belieber nation like the day Justin Bieber announced that he was “retiring” from his career via tweet. It was later confirmed that he was not in fact retiring.
9. Phil Robertson’s homophobic and racist remarks. Coming in at number 9, we have the Phil Robertson debacle. The patriarch of the hit A&E show Duck Dynasty was suspended from the show after an interview with GQ where Robertson spoke out against gay marriage/relationships and comparing them to beasteality. Robertson also spoke on the subject of racism stating that blacks were happier pre-civil rights. But the suspension did not last long, and after the family threatened to drop the show indefinitely, Phil Robertson was taken off suspension and placed back on the show.
8. Paul Walker dead at the age of 40. Fast and Furious star Paul Walker’s sudden death on November 30th shocked everyone. Not only was it completely unexpected, but it was a terrible car accident. Walker and a friend were test driving a 2005 Porsche, trying to fix some problems, when the car crashed. Reports say that the driver was not responsible for the crash. Walker was only 40-years-old when he died.
7. Kimye has a baby! The birth of Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s baby North comes in at number 7. With all the Kardashian’s names beginning with K and the continued tradition with Kanye, you would think that the newest addition to the family would have no choice but to begin with the same. Instead, Kim and Kanye went the complete opposite direction..literally, naming their baby North with the full name being North West. The name North is reportedly to represent Kimeye’s relationship: “the highest point.”
6. Miley and Liam call off their engagement. While we all might have seen this split coming from a hundred miles away, Miley and Liam broke their engagement earlier this year. After Miley cut her hair off, things seemed to change drastically for this former Disney star. Not only did her relationship crumble, she preformed a racy VMA show and released a very controversial music video. All in all, Miley seems happier now than ever before.
5. The Royal Baby! Whether you live in Europe or here in the US, the Royal Baby fever was found everywhere. Royal Family fans were betting on gender, voting on names, and waiting in front of their televisions for Kate Middleton to leave the hospital for a first glance at baby George. On June 22, Prince George was brought into the world where he already had made his way into the hearts of thousands.
4. Catching Fire premiere! Whether you are a Hunger Games fanatic or you just watch the news, you knew about the Catching Fire premiere. Fans were finally quenched of their Hunger Games thirst on November 22 as Catching Fire would go on to make almost 400 million dollars in box office sales. As Hunger Games was one of the most anticipated movies of the year, it also topped the list as one of the best selling movies of the year, only topped by Disney’s recent Frozen.
3. The death of Glee star Cory Monteith. On July 13th, Glee fans and pop culture fans alike were shocked by the news that Glee forerunner Cory Monteith was found dead in his hotel room. An autopsy revealed that the cause of death was a lethal mix of alcohol and heroine. Monteith was only 31 years old.
2. Beyonce breaks the internet with surprise album drop. Coming in at number two, we have the unexpected album drop by Beyonce. Beyonce’s newest self-titled album released on December 13th with no prior advertisement or news of a release. The album drop was so secret in fact that it’s producer did not even know the album was releasing until 90 minutes before it happened. Regardless, the album sold almost a million copies in it’s first week on iTunes making it number one on the site.
1.Miley’s VMA performance. Finally, we reach the number 1 OMG moment of 2013. I could have given everyone one guess on what number one would be, I bet 85% of the answers would be Miley Cyrus’s VMA performance, which is why it topped our list. As previously mentioned, Miley’s life took a 360 turn after she chopped her hair off. After her split from Catching Fire star Liam Hemsworth, she performed at the VMA’s and shocked the entire world. If you’ve been living under a rock for the past couple of months, I’ll update you on the performance. While singing blurred lines with Robin Thicke, Miley proceeded to twerk all over Thicke and use a foam finger to display some very vulgar motions. I wonder how Thicke’s wife felt about that? While some of the reviews on the show were mixed, most believed the performance was “un called for” and showed that Miley was headed in the wrong direction.
Were there any OMG moments of 2013 that you think should be on this list? Let us know in the comments below!