Warning: MAJOR spoilers ahead.
We’re only days away from the return of Vampire Diaries, which is returning this Thursday (January 23) for a very special 100th episode.
The episode itself, entitled ‘500 Years of Solitude’, centres around Katherine Pierce’s (Nina Dobrev, who also plays Elena Gilbert) impending death, and how everyone is dealing with it. Zap2it were lucky enough to have already seen the episode and so can confirm that the episode will take place over a day, because that is all our dearest Katerina and her failing body has left. They also confirm lots and lots of flashbacks, which means we may get to see some familiar faces as there will be ‘shocking new twists on an old memory’.
Show runners Julie Plec and Caroline Dries also told Zap2it yesterday that the episode will be ‘a game-changer’. Plec says about the dying doppelgänger: ‘Katherine is having a hard time when we get to the 100th episode. She’s going through some personal stuff’. Zap2it can also add that Katherine, along with Elena, will both share some pretty awesome scenes with Stefan Salvatore (played by Paul Wesley) and that this is one of Nina Dobrev’s, who has been playing three different doppelgängers this season, best performances yet.
Despite her fragility and vulnerability (basically the fact she is on her deathbed), the other characters aren’t going to forget the numerous times she has messed with their lives and Zap2it can confirm they will celebrate in true Vampire Diaries style: by day drinking. And with the drinking, secrets will come spilling out, and everyone will deal with the new information in a surprising way. Dries can back this up, describing the episode as ‘shocking and fun’, saying that it’s for the fans.
‘We for sure wanted it to be nostalgic. We wanted to make it for the fans who have been with the show from the beginning. So they’ll get the references, specific scenes, and lines that we put in there as a love letter to the fans. It’s to show them how much we appreciate them’.
Some of us knew, watching it back in 2009 when it first premiered, that it would go far, but both Plec and Dries say they were not in that group. ‘No, I didn’t expect it. But you hope for this in the same way that young actors grow up practicing their Oscar acceptance speeches in the mirror. You always hope that you’ll be recognized for what you do and that people will like your show and the crew will stick it out and the actors will stay committed’.
Well, they have done it! And as the CW hit show nears its century, here’s a quick list of spoilers Zap2it have confirmed:
1. Caroline is being scandalous. And so scandalous that viewers will want to cheer and boo at the same time. I wouldn’t expect anything less.
2. Some familiar faces, places and things will return, because even if they’re dead (and most of the time, they’re never really dead) characters do find ways of coming back to Mystic Falls. The only confirmed return is that of Stefan’s not-so-favourite safe.
3. There are two scenes that you may have to rewatch at least 10 times before you can even begin to process what happened. One is ‘so shocking, amazing, crazy, etc.’ that we are warned to have ‘oxygen on standby’. Oh, and that ‘Twitter might break’. The other is ‘less shocking and more heartbreakingly amazing’, which I think could be the long time coming death of Katherine Pierce. *cries*
4. Beremy fans! There will be a ‘perfect’ scene that features them both, on a sofa, looking all cosy. Yay! But Jeremy still has his t-shirt on. Boo!
5. Klaus is back (presumably to say goodbye to his elusive Katerina) and is definitely not leaving Mystic Falls without seeing Caroline (who is single, remember?!). I’m feeling some Klaroline, if that’s okay?
6. Lastly, of course, the Delena break-up. Everyone will be together, drinking in celebration of Katherine’s demise, and it’s going to be awkward. People will be getting involved, as usual.
Well, that’s a lot to process, and we haven’t even seen it yet. Hopefully that’s enough to get us through the next few days. The episode will air on January 23 on the CW at 8pm ET.